Tuesday, January 24, 2012

3 Days

Day 1- Saturday morning I attended a meeting for a support group for parents of children with food allergies.  I found this local group from this website:  http://www.foodallergy.org/ and am so glad that I did.  Most of the parents I met have children who are older than Sweet Potato and many have multiple children with allergies -who have multiple allergies.  (Sweet Potato is highly allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg whites and also has a cat allergy.)   It was emotional but comforting for me just to be there.  I'm still trying to process the fact that my son has life threatening allergies.  Like the infertilitly/loss/adoption online community I am a part of, the members of this group GET IT and I am finding out already in the four months since Sweet Potato's diagnosis how much I need that.

Day 2- On Sunday I met some work friends and their kids at the children's museum of play.  Thankfully my awesome friend, Christine, accompanied us because watching two toddlers in 282,000 square feet of a kid's museum would have been difficult without help!  This place is awesome.   There's a re-creation of Sesame Street, a miniature grocery store where kids can shop and even scan their own groceries, and there are books and activities at every turn.  It also houses the National Toy Hall of Fame, a carousel and train which surprisingly the Dynamo rode on with me.  (Sweet Potato has ridden a kids train before but the Dynamo refused!)  It was a great time and this place is close to home.  I may consider a membership as the kids get older (admission for them is free until age 2) if my budget allows.
The Dynamo among some Sesame Street characters I have never heard of!
Sweet Potato could have played with this stove all afternoon.
The caption I put on FB for this one was he looks just me when I grocery shop - determined and in a hurry!

Day 3- On Mondays I work a later shift - from 12 noon to 9 PM.  While it stinks to not be able to put the twins to bed, I actually get more awake time with them on Mondays since they are now (pretty much) napping once a day starting at 12:00 PM.  My local rec center has open toddler gym weekday mornings and Fabulous D and I took the twins yesterday.  It was so much fun.  Well that is, until the Dynamo tripped into a ride-on toy face first.  No injury, just tears.  It was still way worth the trip and I am hoping to make our visits a habit.  This may be a great opportunity for one-on-one time with Mommy if I can drop off one baby at Grandma's - although we loved that Fabulous D came with us!  Any time with her for me or the twins is a treat!

Ball!  Ball!  Ball!  Ball!

Fabulous D and the Dynamo.  Two Fabulous Ds!
Contrary to their facial expressions, they do enjoy playing together!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great weekend! And I'm so glad you've found some food allergy support. Definitely not something anyone should have to deal with alone!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.